Thursday, January 19, 2006

Boston Symphony, James Levine, Christine Brewer, Jill Grove, Ben Heppner, Rene Pape, Tanglewood Festival Chorus perform Missa Solemnis

IN PROGRESS

I climbed the stairs at Symphony station to discover, on the large posters for the BSO's three performances of Beethoven's Miss Solemnis, that Deborah Voigt had been replaced by Christine Brewer, and Lorraine Hunt Lieberson by Jill Grove. The Voigt cancellation was a sudden and late one, but the Lieberson was announced a couple weeks ago. I didn't get the memo on that one. (Hm, maybe that's why the BSO was calling me on the 4th--I had a bunch of missed calls from them. They could've left a message . . .)

Just yesterday I ordered tickets to both Miami Beach performances of Mahler's Rückert Lieder--the New World Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas, and Lieberson. I asked the box office agent if Lieberson had confirmed those appearances, and I was told that they hadn't heard anything different. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, this is the third time that Voigt has sold me out, the second for Lieberson. Yes, I am keeping track.

More on the performance later. Maybe tomorrow, because I'm going back.

No comments: