Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Candide at the Châtelet in Paris

[in progress]

Well. I'm not really sure what to think of Robert Carsen's new staging of Bernstein's Candide. His take on it: it's an American satire that calls attention to the dark side of the American dream. (Westphalia becomes "West Failure." Yawn.) Some bits are sort of intelligent, but it gets old really quickly. I'm undecided, but I'll say this: the three-and-a-half hours or so seemed to drag, while listening over the internet to Don Carlo live from the Met the other day kept me riveted for five hours.

[in progress]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the first act but found my attention wandering in the second. The tv concept is intriguing but it didn't flow as well as I've seen in other productions. Overall, the analogies tried too hard and the ending fizzled: Make Our Garden Grow usually has tears welling up but the heavy handed cynicism dampened the mood but not my eyes.